Friday, May 31, 2013

Como Park Bluebird Trail Update: May 31st

Post contributed by Sharon, volunteer Bluebird Trail monitor:

Newly hatched chickadees
Bluebirds are still incubating seventeen eggs in four nest boxes this week.  Three little chickadees recently hatched in one nest box; the other chickadee nest may contain a failed egg.  I was unable to see further into that nest to determine if there were other eggs or nestlings inside, due to the darkness and amount of fur covering the nest, but the parent chickadee flew out when I opened the box.
 
Tree swallow nest with
large feather!
I was also unable to see inside the two tree swallow nests due to the large amounts of feathers covering each nest! But tree swallows flew out of each box as I opened it, so I assume things are going well.
 
Continuing on this theme, I could not see into the wren’s nest either, due to the construction of the nest.  The box is piled high with sticks and the nest, if there is one, it
is behind all that material.
  If there is enough space at the top, perhaps next week I can see in using my telescoping mirror.  The wren flew out when I opened the box and began to scold me.
 
Two boxes still have only small amounts of nesting material inside, but a bluebird was checking out one of them as I passed by.