Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Como Park Bluebird Trail Update: June 27th

Post contributed by Sharon, volunteer Bluebird Trail monitor:
Four bluebirds will fledge in the next week, if all goes well, and perhaps those parents will start a third round of nesting. Six boxes on the trail are currently occupied by bluebirds. There are a total of 10 young bluebirds and 16 eggs in those boxes. In one nest with five eggs, a tiny bluebird had just hatched.

Male bluebird keeps
 his eye on me after I
 check his nest containing
 five eggs
More than a week old
tree swallows
Five more-than-a-week-old tree swallows occupy the seventh box. Tree swallow parents often defend their nests aggressively by swooping at me while I check, but today they must have been busy catching insects for their youngsters.
House sparrows quickly built another nest in the hanging box I emptied last week, so I removed it again and hope they will soon choose another nesting site off the trail.

The last two boxes on the trail remain empty.